Thursday, November 30, 2023

District Conference, Thanksgiving, Amazing Trade School, Beautiful Children

 


We had a district conference and met a lot of wonderful people. We sat by our mission president's aunty visiting from New Zealand. President Cowley also asked me to speak this morning impromptu. I think Sister Martin would've done better but I did my best. Since I had a tiny bit of time to prepare, I prayed to know what I should say and it went pretty good, even though I get nervous every time I speak in church. I remembered to say most of what I prepared. It was providential that President Cowley said the things I forgot to say that I had prepared such as: When I was young I was taught to think what Jesus would do before making a decision to do something. 


They had some good musical numbers.


We ate dinner with the mission office couple. We made some extra teriyaki chicken for the young missionary Elders that live upstairs. The tall missionary volunteered to carry the containers and jokingly said he wanted it all for himself.




Enjoyed another lunch with our govt. relations couple. We were working with them on a self reliance program.



Happy Thanksgiving!


Some enjoyed their first Thanksgiving feast as they don't usually celebrate it in New Zealand.


We enjoyed a fabulous Thanksgiving feast with Turkey and all the fixin's. One of the couples was able to get a large turkey. The only one we saw in a supermarket was over $100 and it was the size of a chicken.  

We made creamy garlic mashed potatoes and spiked cranberry juice (😁spiked with 7up and limes...) 

Everything was so good and we have so much to be thankful for.


Elder and Sister Oba, our govt. relations couple hosted the event at their apartment. 

For an activity everyone was asked to tell a true story of something they wished never happened. 

I told the story about serving in the India Mission Office and the extreme difficulties with India finances and how all payments I made for my first two weeks there bounced.




Sister Martin told a story about how we were hiking on our mission in Guam along the ocean and were almost washed out to sea. 


Quite a view of the city from the 14th floor

All types of housing as we looked at the view below.

We were invited to another Thanksgiving style dinner a couple of days before with some NGO's for humanitarian. It was also a great dinner. For dessert they served pumpkin pie, Ethiopian Style? Some good crust on the bottom, a slice of sweetened cooked pumpkin, topped with pecans and whipped cream. It was pretty good but not like any pumpkin pie we had ever had.


We were privileged to attend a trade school graduation hosted by RealHumanitarian, a Canadian NGO. They've been working in Ethiopia for decades. 




60 students were graduating. They teach woodworking including furniture making, beauty hair styling, barbering and fashion design with sewing skills.

As part of the graduation, each student received a few tools of their trade such as saws, hair scissors, etc. I was surprised that they asked me to help hand out certificates and tools to some of the graduates. 

We walked through some of the rooms where they receive extensive hands-on training.



Some of our granddaughters are learning to sew. They might be interested to know that the clothing placed up on the walls are samples of clothing the class made. They are miniature size because fabric is very expensive and they have limited funding. 










One of our granddaughters is in hair school and she may wonder why they would need this box. It is used to heat a curling iron placed inside on the right side of the box. Ethiopia has so many power outages, they sometimes use a propane powered hotplate like this to heat their curling irons. 

Our goals for humanitarian help in Africa currently include three main purposes: Education, Health including emergency food relief and water/hygiene.

Sister Martin took pictures of each of the children in her Primary/Nursery. 













Each child was so happy to hold this picture of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Week in Ethiopia - More Goodbye's - Dinner with Missionaries - Ambassador Dinner - Airport - Trip Home

Saying goodbye to our friends is extremely difficult. This family was with us for most of our mission in University Branch but then they mov...