Sister Martin saw this Christmas tree at the airport in Addis Ababa as we were getting ready to take a little trip, and said, "Let's take a picture". Christmas trees are a rare sight here as we've seen little or no commercialization of the holiday season. In Ethiopia, Christmas is officially celebrated on January 7th. It is mostly a time spent at home with family and friends, feasting and socializing.
As a hobby I like to create trip itineraries and graphically show things we were planning to do. I shared the 13 page PDF with all the couples. Including a little sample in this blog.
I created this reminder since nearly every place you go only accepts cash (except the hotel).
We hopped on a turbo-prop flight to Hawassa (Awassa), Ethiopia to visit the members there and enjoy a short senior couple retreat.
Arriving in Awassa... it has a more rural landscape than the big city Addis Ababa where we live.
On arrival to the hotel they had dancers as a welcoming party.
Others were performing traditional dances in other places around the hotel grounds.
Went to the local market. Pictures are always limited since people steal phones here a lot. The picture above was driving to the market. We walked down many pathways of shops, turning left, turning right, endless little shops selling their local pots, dresses and baskets and endless varieties of Asian-made goods.
Can you believe it? We only bought an umbrella made in China.
We did one group picture.
Enjoyed see a few of the local sites.
Meanwhile, at the hotel...looks like Sister Martin is trying out a yoga move with Sister Tohiariki.
We all took a turn playing table tennis / ping pong. Another fun activity.
A few interesting food options. This bread was shaped like a swan.
Enjoyed seeing a friendly Hippo near the hotel and other wildlife.
Even though hippos kill more people in Africa than any other animal, this hippo seemed so friendly. But no one dared to get close to him. He never dared to come closer to us either.
He would come up to look at us and then go back under the water. One of our senior couple friends called him Harry the Hippo. He was in the same spot almost every day. He must have enjoyed eating the underwater grass near the hotel boat ramp.
Other wildlife around the hotel.
Off on a boat ride around the lake to see more hippos and birds.
The boat driver estimated that there are about 50 wild hippos in the lake.
We saw an eagle fishing in the lake and then this one perched in a tree.
Our wonderful Mission Leaders.
Had an opportunity to participate in a "Light the World" humanitarian project. Each person received a bag of flour and 3 bottles of cooking oil. Not a lot, but these people looked so needy and super grateful for it.
We sang "Joy to the World" to them in both English and their language, Amharic.
On this trip we visited a member of the Church and also carpenter who supplements his income with chickens. He started years ago with just a few chickens and has expanded to 150. His goal is to reach 1,000 chickens. He learned mostly from YouTube videos. He said he's had successes and hardships.
He built the chicken coups himself.
We enjoyed visiting the local Church branch. We met more wonderful members.
Then for church on Sunday they had a Christmas nativity program.
They asked Sister Martin and I to speak about Christmas. I talked about one of our favorite things at Christmas time was see our grandchildren act in a nativity program. I mentioned one of my favorite characters was a granddaughter that enjoyed being a donkey and how she liked wearing a donkey mask. The donkey was a significant character that carried Mary.
I talked about the song "I Believe in Christ" which we sang in church that day and how the words and music touch my heart so powerfully, it brings tears to my eyes and I get a glimpse of Jesus Christ as my Savior. I know that Jesus Christ lives and loves me. He is my only hope as I have felt His love and atonement in my life.
I also talked about a happy Christmas day many years ago when I asked Sister Martin to marry me. I asked her through a song. She gave no answer until the third time I sang it where she answered, Yes, Yes, Yes.
Sister Martin went with all the little children to class to Primary. She took this picture. Sister Tohiariki (sitting on the floor) did the Primary lesson and music. The Primary President is to the right of her.
The Awassa church branch members were a wonderful group of saints to meet.
A sunset in Awassa over the lake.





































No comments:
Post a Comment