Sunday, March 17, 2024

Sisters moved in! - Designing Primary Room -


Yes, the Sisters moved in where the young Elders used to live upstairs. They are from Zimbabwe and Nigeria. So full of energy and life and exciting to be around. 

I made teriyaki chicken and Thai coconut red curry chicken.

Our little University church branch is getting ready for an open house so Sister Martin wanted to spruce up the Primary room.  The maintenance people painted all the walls.

 
She requested those blue bulletin boards for the walls. I volunteered to make some letters in both languages.


Started off with Sister Martin's ideas. She said she wanted "Come Follow Me" at the top. She also took input from the Primary President. I created The 13 Articles of Faith chart in Amharic Language. Thankfully, it was created previously. I just needed to enhance it. 
  

Then I started trying to figure out the Amharic letters for each heading. Using Google Translate and some fonts I was able to find online, I was able to paste the Google Translated Amharic letters into my graphics program and manipulate them from there.  

After having a few locals read and approve it, we printed them on color paper, cut them out, laminated them, and finally cut them out a second time. 


Then we put them up on the bulletin boards. 



The board below says I am a child of God. Ultimately, the Primary President wants to put up a picture of each child on this board.


Now that all the painting is finished, they put up a few new pictures on the walls



Whoa crazy.... that's some interesting unfinished rebar sticking out from the walls of this building. I guess we can't clean that up for the upcoming open house. 
 



Sunday School is over. We have some great members that are eager to learn more about Jesus Christ and His Gospel. We got to know the man on the right waving when we were locked out of the building a few months ago when church was canceled and we were the only ones not notified. He has been a student here and from Sudan, native language is Sudanese. He speaks pretty good English, and is trying to learn the local language of Amharic.


I took this picture bellow, of the Relief Society Sisters, holding my camera up to a high window. Later I saw the picture and noticed they were praying. 

Beautiful!

This was the most sisters I had seen together at one time in our branch. This could have been partly a result from us calling so many on the phone several days before.


Have you ever heard of LUCY?

You know, named after the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles. 


For her birthday, Sister Martin wanted see Lucy, found in a layer of rock in Ethiopia dating back some 3.2 million years ago. It's located in the National Museum of Ethiopia, which happens to be across the street from our little church branch.  







Once outside we could see the tower where the loud noise was coming from. There was a tower next to the museum with loud speakers where someone was chanting for their religious practice. We could hear it loud and clear inside the building. Reminded us of India. Recording bellow...



Sister Martin wanted to do 3 things on her birthday, Cold Stone Ice Cream, see The National Museum of Ethiopia and pick up some fresh flowers.

Which one would you pick for #1 choice?


And since Cold Stone and Pizza Hut are owned by the same company and next to each other, of course we had some Pizza as well. They're pizza is great but each time I ask for pepperoni or turkey bacon, they say they don't have any. 

Sister Martin's #1 choice is Cold Stone of course. 


She had 3 flavors, Black cookie chocolate, Chocolate and Vanilla. I got Chocolate hazelnut and Chocolate. 

Flowers are pretty cheap if you venture out on the road. Only a couple of dollars. 

Next blog - The big open house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Week in Ethiopia - More Goodbye's - Dinner with Missionaries - Ambassador Dinner - Airport - Trip Home

Saying goodbye to our friends is extremely difficult. This family was with us for most of our mission in University Branch but then they mov...