We've mentioned it before but power is a precious resource here and outages are a common occurrence...I think this appliance is one of the most used in our apartment, the battery backup light. Our laptops can go for hours so we just keep on going. Unfortunately, hot spots don't work that great so lack of internet slows us down. All part of the fun...
The young missionaries wanted to do a birthday party for Sister Udoekong so we had it in our apartment. Her companion brought a cake and I made some popcorn and we enjoyed a fun little party.
For Cinco de Mayo, we decided to make some Mexican food. Sister Martin worked on the tortillas and taco meat filling and I tried the chips and salsa. I roasted the tomatoes for the salsa until they started turning black. That was a first for me. Almost everything turned out great. The chips were a little sketchy that we made from scratch. The corn flour is different here. The wheat flour ones turned out Ok and we had some nice food. So far we haven't found any good tortilla chips.
A couple of the young Elders made us an Ethiopian dish called Doro Wet. "Doro" means "Chicken" and "Wet" means "Stew". We heard you cook the onions for several hours before adding chicken and spices. It takes all day to make it and it is made for special occasions. We bought some injera to go with it. It was a nice meal.
We've had a few opportunities to eat out with our wonderful office couple.
This Lebanese place we went to was perhaps the best restaurant food I've had in Ethiopia. Amazing roasted chicken, humus and Tobouli salad. It was so good I forgot to take the picture until we were about finished.
Kimchi anyone?
Elder Woodbury served as a young missionary in Korea and loves to try out the Korean restaurants in Ethiopia.
District conference was held in a big hotel conference room. Our largest chapel would not accommodate all the members and visitors.
























Lots of fun experiences! Lots of international food and thanks for the tip about roasting the tomatoes for salsa!
ReplyDelete