Sunday, June 23, 2024

What we are most thankful for - Jesus, Missionaries, People, other great blessings


We are thankful for Jesus Christ who has brought us all together in this purpose to help build His Kingdom on Earth. We are thankful for the all the missionaries and the people of Ethiopia. This man next to Elder England was just baptized. I told Elder England that I felt the spirit so strong when he was baptized and also when I'm around him. He told me it was just like that when they were teaching him. Everything just seemed to go so well, like Jesus was with him through the process of learning. 






The branch President asked me to confirm him a member as well. I did it in English and the man told me after that he understood most of what I said, as I tried to keep it simple.  


Sister Martin and I live near a fruit and vegetable market that serves a large area of the city. Beginning at sunrise (and sometimes before), truckloads of fresh produce arrive 7 days a week, rain or shine, except on major holidays. We are thankful for this.



Even though the market is not a beautiful retail store, we are able to get fresh, wonderful food.


Not sure what this is. I thought it might be those orange looking Mangos or Papaya but it almost looks like square pieces of something.




Looks like some more corn just arrived. It's not the young, tender, sweet corn we have on occasion at home. It is just OK, large and tough. It's more like what I might consider farmers feed to livestock.

I'm thankful for Sister Martin's cooking and her ability to improvise. While Sister Martin was letting this bread rise, the power went out so she put it in the fridge. A couple of hours later the power came on and finished it.


It was so good. Rosemary artisan bread with Broccoli gouda cheese soup. 



Since it's hard to find items such as Buttermilk, she has improvised her Buttermilk pancake recipe and has adapted it using vinegar. 


They are very good.


Yes, those are homemade noodles for this amazing chicken noodle soup. 


Our area medical doctor visited. To avoid visits to the doctor he helped remind us all the basics such as: Clean everything (especially food) properly, drink a lot of water, proper amount of sleep and exercise, etc. 


Later that day, we went our to dinner with all the senior couples, our mission leaders, and the Doctor couple and mental health couple. So fun.






Surprise, it's Sister Oba's birthday!


We enjoy participating in weekly District meetings with the young missionaries.






We helped with the Young Single Adult Movie Night. A few little ones joined the fun.





Children, children, beautiful children. Our weekly after school volunteer program to help tutor English is always interesting. 



Especially when we finish and they want to take pictures.





Having the Sister Missionaries over for dinner is always a treat. This time it was Sister Chibuisi's birthday. She doesn't eat sugar, so she was served a bowl of fruit, while the rest of us ate chocolate cookies. Both sisters are from Nigeria. 



A special Italian Night Out...






And finally, more fun eating out with the Woodburys...




This is called KKFC not KFC



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Week in Ethiopia - More Goodbye's - Dinner with Missionaries - Ambassador Dinner - Airport - Trip Home

Saying goodbye to our friends is extremely difficult. This family was with us for most of our mission in University Branch but then they mov...